Tomorrow, March 2nd 2013 is the 6th “Burniversary” as her mother calls it of the fateful day when Jodie’s suffering began after the head lice treatment was applied. Her mother describes the extent of her suffering and how the whole family has been affected.
“Back in 2007 a head lice shampoo was put on Jodie’s head. I wasn’t at home at the time, if I were then it would never have gone on. But, sadly, I wasn’t there and fate unfolded in the most catastrophic way. After she had the shampoo put on her hair, she went downstairs and went to blow out a candle that we had lit earlier, with the result that she burst into flame. Every part of her face was on fire. Her eyebrows, her eyelashes all burnt off, her lips, ears, nose were also burnt deeply. Luckily all her features recovered, but most of her face had to be skin grafted. She also has an area where the hair has not been able to grow back, but is hidden by hair that falls over the top of it. The fact that Jodie is alive is only by the grace of God. The fact that she didn’t lose her sight or her face is also only by the grace of God. The last 6 years have been hell and have had a catastrophic effect on our family. I have put on about 6 stone and suffer from post traumatic stress, as does her father and of course her sister is deeply affected. But none more so than Jodie, who shows to us that without doubt, beauty is in the heart, and no scars can ever extinguish it”
To learn more about the story and to support Jodie and her family as they seek to claim compensation from the head lice treatment company whose product almost killed her please visit and “Like” the facebook page below and raise awareness of the danger by warning other parents and carers about this incident.